One of my first posts on this blog was a list of 30 things I wanted to do before I turned 30. Today is my 27th birthday so it’s only fitting take a second look at that list. After all, I’m down to only three years left to complete it.
Here’s the list, newly crossed off items are in red.
- Move to a major city
- Start a company
- Be a major part of a startup
- Get back under 200 pounds (getting close)
- Get to all 50 states (I think i’m in the 30s already)
- Run a 5k (not necessarily in a race)
Go to Europe
- Launch an app in an app store
- Learn to play the guitar
Actively pursue speaking German— I’m almost finished with my first semester of Basic German! Own my own power tools— I’m the proud owner of a saw AND a drill motor 🙂
- Write a screenplay (that is more than 5 minutes long)
Brew my own beer— A west coast pale ale that turned out quite well
- Perform a wedding ceremony (that’s Rev. Jones to you, sir)
- Go on a cross-country road trip
Kayak down a river— My wife and I enjoyed a great little kayak trip while on our honeymoon.
- See all of AFI’s top 100 movies — Progress is being made, just about half-way now
- Go to SXSW
- Visit Australia
- Take an “advanced driving” course (where you do cool stuff like slides)
- Get a puppy (named Pixel, not that I’ve had this planned forever or anything)
- Punch someone in the face (who deserves it of course)
- Fire a gun (at a target, at a range)
Live in another country
- Ride in a helicopter
- Play tennis regularly (again)
- Go to Germany with my father (and visit where my Grandmother was born)
- Design and publish an e-book (note I didn’t say “write”)
Become friends with my brother— Thanks in large part to disc golf, my brother and I hang out at least once a week, usually even more.
Sure there are a lot left but I’m happy to be making progress. Some friends, Abby and myself have started watching a top 100 movie together every week or two. That said, maybe it’s time I pick up the guitar again or pull out my tennis racket, I’ve only got three years left!